This week our governor announced that schools would be out until the end of the year. Although, this announcement was expected, my heart broke into a million pieces. It hurt more than I can express to hear that we would not be returning this year. The tears have been real and flowing.
As I teach my students, it is okay to acknowledge that something makes you sad. It is okay to acknowledge that you are struggling, but do not make camp in that space. As my principal said, this last 9 weeks of school does not undo all the work we put into the first 3 weeks.
And so, I put together a list of my favorite student quotes. I use them randomly around my house in quarantine with my husband and kids. It makes my heart hurt a little less.
- “Hey miss, is there Tequila in that water bottle? That’s the way my grandmother drinks it.”
- “Row, row, row your boat gently down the shore, throw your teacher overboard she’s acting like a real …. nah, I’m not going to say it.”
- “I know it’s weird, but I want to smell your hair!”
- All the lines from Mama Mia, and various other broadway musicals.
- “Well, this lesson is disappointing and boring.”
- “The woman puts her legs up in a V, the man shoots the sperm, then the woman catches it. And bam! A baby”
And my bonus favorite, that my husband has taken to broadcasting over the whole house, that I really feel sums up this whole distance learning/not being able to see the students on a daily basis situation: